Monday, April 5, 2010

Office Happenings: Super Awesome Beeping

Came in to work today, and after like 30 minutes a loud high pitched beeping starts in the front of the room right in our faces. There's a bunch of machines over in that area, so I start pointing my ear towards each machine. It felt really weird cause I kept getting that doppler effect where it sounded like I was getting farther away every time I moved from the middle of all the machines. I get the ladder cause we think it might be the smoke detector

(Pause in the story cause boss lady is telling me to try something to fix it.)

Anyway, it didn't work, and it's the server. Story was gonna be long and boring. I'm sure you guys already know the sound I'm talking about because you guys know servers. I don't know if it's the fans, overheating, or voltage, or what, but I think we're just gonna have it beeping all day. Man pretend you left your alarm on all day, that's what it's like right now. So everyone except the doctor is scared to let me try to stop it including me, but only because they're making me scared to try. The doctor's like let the computer whiz try to fix it.

I had to bring this old guy who was super weak to the ER just now. I cannot be a nurse or anything dealing with people. I'm super awkward and scared to touch strangers even to help them into wheelchairs and beds. This guy was getting off a bed into a wheelchair, and he almost fell off onto the ground, but the doctor was watching and caught him. I was barely holding him. I suck. When I dropped him off, I had to suck it up and pick him up and put him in the lobby in a chair. I couldn't think of a sign off or like a don't worry they'll be right with you kinda thing. I just walked off with the wheelchair.

Last thing. It's weird answering the phones at geriatric doctor's office. Calls are like this. "Dr. Grainger's office." "Hey, yeah, um I went to the potty and there was blood in my urine/I have diarrhea, can I see the doctor today?"

6 comments:

  1. was it a bomb you had to disarm jack bauer style?

    ReplyDelete
  2. dell poweredge 1600SC, it's continuous beep

    ReplyDelete
  3. Check for Amber LED's, then throw it away and buy an HP server.

    You can try logging into the server and checking the error logs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wanted to, but i'm scared of the boss lady

    they're just gonna pay someone to fix it in the morning, can't believe i've spent 6 hours straight with this beeping

    ReplyDelete