Monday, July 12, 2010

Interview Blues

So I don't know if I want to write about all my interviews since every one I've been on has been a bust. I always feel really good about it, and then comes the dreaded email: "blah blah blah you're too good for us blah blah blah."

On Friday I had an interview at Brand Extract, a marketing and ad agency next to the Aston Martin dealership. Ballin'! I got the lead from my friend Alyson and it turned out to be a random, last minute interview. I emailed my portfolio to them on Thursday afternoon and on Friday they asked me to come in at 4pm. The receptionist was listening to her ipod and had a bunch of lanyards of different colored paper cutouts of fish taped to her desk. She asked me if I wanted a drink. "Yes please. A beer." Fake laughing and then silence.

The laid-back atmosphere is exactly the environment that I've imagined myself working in. The group who interviewed me were all so cool with each other, like they had been friends for a really, really long time- telling each other to shut-it and making fun of each others' drinking abilities. They told me they have "Beerfest Fridays" or something like that. Totally my kind of company. Oh man, I'm getting sad right now 'cause I feel desperate for this job. Anyway, they gave me a lot of good pointers and we discussed my work. They said I needed some more commercial/corporate pieces and then the chief designer asked me which of my pieces I thought was the weakest. So then I pointed at the one I thought was the weakest. Then he said "WRONG! You never admit any of your pieces are weak!" Dang, he got me good. One of his colleagues said, "Wow, can't believe you fell for that." I got really hot and felt like my forehead was greasing over and then I felt an itchy-bump pop up on my chin, which is what happens when I get nervous or hot. Then I started getting really concerned about them seeing my itchy-bump and noticed myself using my pointer finger to cover it as I was talking to them. SO SMOOTH.

2 comments:

  1. awwww jess... you and your poor nervous itchy-bumps. i hope you get it! you're awesome! i think they know it too b/c they felt really comfortable with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i laughed out loud at the itchy bump part... i feel like the story ended abruptly, what else happened?!

    ReplyDelete