Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Changes/Weekend Recap

This past week was SO RAINY. Hurricane Alex was en route to Mexico so we had to deal with some major tropical storm damage. Pouring rain, flooded streets, heat and humidity. Just a quick reminder of this week's setting.

So, on Thursday Philip came over around dinner time. (Haven't been seeing as much of each other since he started his job sooooo far away and lives at his brother's house soooooo far away.) Over the phone we planned on having Japanese food but Chris & Shara called and invited us to eat at Huynh's downtown which he said was BYOW. We're there. I was walking to the corner store to get two bottles when Philip pulled up to my house, so I made him walk with me. He was all disgruntled at the way I was holding the umbrella 'cause he was getting wet. I think people who are not holding the umbrella should have to keep up with the one holding it in order to make it work.

Huynh's was pretty good. Philip had the pho which I liked because it was heavy on the star anise (licorice flavor is what I like to call it). I had a charbroiled chicken rice plate which I thought tasted better at Pho Saigon. Two bottles of wine = not enough wine for 4 people. Shara didn't have to work the next day so we ended up going to her and Chris's house to have some bloody mary's. We woulda had some Sweet Tea, but it was a dummy bottle. Someone drank all of it and then refilled the bottle with soy sauce and water instead. So clever. Except my nose works so you can't fool me. Go ahead, insert big-nose-joke here. We played sing-star and I could only beat people when I harmonized with Philip and then we went to Glitter to continue the karaoking for a little bit.

On Friday Rex had a party at his house. He lives way out on the other side of the world too, so Philip just went there straight from his brother's house. I caught a ride with Chris and Shara and we decided to take 45 to the beltway which was THE WORST IDEA EVER. We were stuck in traffic for a straight hour because the feeder was completely flooded and cars were driving through the grass to come up onto the freeway. The whole time we were starving and we kept debating whether or not to exit and get some food. Texted Philip about what food was there and he said they ordered pizza which made my mouth water. When we got there I totally thought it was a pineapple pizza but it was grilled chicken. I'm pretty sure everyone got fooled by that too because statistically more people get pineapple pizza than chicken pizza, and that's a fact jack. Also, 48% of all statistics are made up. We played a lot of beer pong in Rex's garage with a million mosquitoes and million couches. His roommate is like the most useful roommate ever. He made a fan station to flow the A/C from inside the house to the garage and hooked up some speakers for music. But we didn't need either of those things to win the first 4 rounds of beer pong. Win! Win! Win! Philip thought he was such a funny guy that night. It was probably one of his career highs. My ride left me there at the end of the night so I had to beg Philip to give me a place to stay. Psych. More like the other way around.

Saturday. Philip, Bryan and Russell went to work out and left me and Marianne to do whatever we wanted. She took me around the northside and we went to The Container Store where Martha Stewart's biggest fans all work. That place makes you want to buy everything and makes you want to change your life. But man, every time you stopped to look at something a lady would walk up and have a story to tell you about why that thing is so awesome. It worked and I'm a sucker. I got talked into buying a thing that soaks up moisture in a room and collects it in a basin. What's embarrassing is that I talked it up like it was the best thing ever to Philip, hours after buying it. I'm pretty sure I'm returning everything that I bought from there. After that Marianne's like, "Wanna go to DSW to look at shoes?" Yesyesyesyesyeys. So many goodies so little money. Marianne was trying on these black heels and this old Mexican lady sitting near us was looking, so I gave her the thumbs up, like "yeahhh, she should buy them." Then she starts talking to us all fast and in Spanish and I know we have that wide-eyed, looking around nervously but laughing because we don't know what the hell she's saying look. But she just keeps on going. We kind of pretend to know and just talk back to her anyway. Maybe she doesn't have many people who want to talk to her. We get some Starbucks and go back to her house. Oh yeah, and I bought a pair of pink wedges on sale. We sit around and watch an hour of America's Funniest Videos "10 Best Pranks Edition" and it was so worth it. Favorites were: the plastic carpet runners with pointy side flipped up to unsuspecting guests, the one where one friend put an iguana on the other friend who is deathly scared of iguanas and the fake lotto ticket montage (so mean, but so funny). We went to Banana Republic so Philip could get work clothes since my brother works there and gets a discount (kinda, not really). When we walked into Banana, I waved into the security cameras because my friend Marcia's boyfriend Isaiah works in the Loss Control Department. Of course it worked, so he came down and we talked for a little bit. No one was stealing anything that day so he was super bored and was probably so extremely happy that he ran into two of the most interesting people in the world. We ate Taco Bell at the mall and it was unsatisfactory because they forgot the guacamole that we ordered. Did anything interesting happen at The Galleria? Probably not, I can't remember. After that Philip took me home and he went to Nikko's house to eat and I got ready to go to Mo and Abbas's going away party at Boheme's. They are moving to Seattle where it's just as rainy as it is today I guess. The party was fun and I loved the atmosphere. Bet it's the bomb in the spring-time because their patios are really nice. Left early so I could meet up Philip at my place to go to Pearl Bar where Mile's was celebrating his birthday. So many people came out that night! I invited my neighbor Adam to come with us and he did. I think he had a good time. Kept trying to buy shots for everyone which was cool. Oh yeah, and at the end of the night me and Philip got into a bad fight says everyone else. Supposedly he said he was going to kill me and I said "Ok, I'm dead." I don't know if that's true, but that's what Nikko said. I still remember having fun at the end of the night at my place though. Alter egos are cool.

Sunday was Philip's cousin's engagement party. Ate a bunch of food, played with a bunch of kids, realized how delicious jalapenos were, played the hand-slap game, got owned and sweated a lot. Walked to the park and pushed kids on swings for what felt like forever and then tried to get on the monkey bars. Philip made fun of my armpits so I scared him when there was a wasp nearby. He ran away. I win. After the engagement party we drove out to Katy to party at Nikko's house. I stopped by Jolene and Matt's (and baby Joseph's) new house since they live like one neighborhood away. So weird that my old partner in crime is now settled down with a fiance (fye-ance says Holly Hunter in Raising Arizona), a kid, two dogs and a house in the suburbs. We popped some fireworks and drank a beer just for festivities sake. While Philip and I were standing the driveway Joseph bragged to us that his dad was so strong that he could smush him back into a baby. That's pretty strong. We convinced Matt, Jo and Joseph to come back with us to Nikko's to drink and party. We popped way more fireworks and firecrackers (those things get addicting) and played beer pong and flip cup. Joseph made Philip play Pokemon cards with him because Philip is king of Japanese loser boy games: Digimon, Pokemom, Yugigoh, Bloons TD4.
After that we all went to Baker Street in Katy and the waitress was a total B. (Dumb waitress was being rude cause she's a loser, probably a bad day, but that just means she sucks at her job. Her and jessica got into it because jessica asked for a pitcher and the girl got rude. Then jessica purposely said out loud while she was standing behind her that she shouldn't be sucky to us because other people sucked to her. Also, she got joseph's order wrong twice, and he was the only one to order anything, and rolled her eyes. Joseph's thing is what started it. Anyway, I go to close my tab cause it's about to be uh... Girlfight. I mediate a little, and while I'm talking to her she's rubbing my back like I'm friends with her cause I'm the one with the tab. Loser. I slap her in the face a couple of times and she pays for the tab. Perce! Went back to nikko's and I ate the whole bag of hot cheetoh's that I was mad at them for having cause I knew I was gonna kill it later, and the rest came back with whataburger.)

Monday. Philip and I ran some errands at the bank and grocery store and then went to his Tito Boy's house. He's not really a boy, he's a grown man. We ate a bunch of leftovers from the engagement party and then I got really, really sleepy. Philip laughed at his little cousin Kate after she tried to sit on a stool and almost fell out. She got mad and ran up to him with a fist (a fist grasping a pen) pretending to stab him and then she got in trouble so she balled up and hid her face in a pillow for what seemed like forever. Diego wanted me to race paper airplanes with him so I did. I never learned any airplane folding techniques as a child, so I just make them up and make them symmetrical. Usually mine just plummet and don't do anything cool. I challenged Philip and he made one and we raced them and and mine fluttered and plummeted while his glided for a SECOND (been doing this my whole life). Took Chris back to his house and then we went to Kroger again to buy groceries to make healthy dinners for the week. Kroger's twice in one day. We had rotisserie chicken and spinach with a side of The Book of Eli. I thought that movie sucked "ball hairs". (Thought the movie was fine, aka fioooooooonnnee)



Jess/(Philip)

5 comments:

  1. Isaiah mentioned he saw you but I see no mention of this. Weekend recall FAIL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sweet i finally make a weekend update!

    ReplyDelete
  3. marcia, i'll update the blog and insert Isaiah's cameo. Russell, come to Houston more often and you'll be in all the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so ready to play pokemon with little joseph but he seemed shy. Maybe I creeped him out? He seemed kinda bashful when I mentioned Gengar.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you looked bigger than his dad and he thought you would smush him back into a baby if he played with you.

    ReplyDelete