Monday, June 7, 2010

Weekend Recap #5

I wonder when we're going to start thinking these weekend updates are a real chore to keep up with. I mean, it's not that bad once I actually start typing, but getting to this point takes a little push; kinda like working out (which I have been slacking off on recently). Philip and I did NOT hang out this weekend. SHOCKING! He went out to San Antonio for his cousin's graduation from the air force (kinda cool) which he'll write about separately. I'll write about my weekend and I'll try to keep it as concise as possible. On Thursday Philip came over after work and I made chicken ceasar salad to stay "healthy". Probably isn't even that healthy cause I used Brianna's Asiago Ceasar dressing which is really rich, but SO delicious. I pretty much sat there picking at my food 'cause I was being all mopey about him leaving for the entire weekend. It was supposed to be our "anniversary" weekend. There, I said it and yes, I do feel embarrassed. Philip tried to make it better by not leaving that night with his parents and was instead going to catch a ride with Rex the next morning. We went to Rudyards 'cause that's what we do, and we played some darts and hand some beers. Old drinking rules applied. I tried a new beer: Samuel Smith IPA and it's pretty good...bet it's better on tap; don't like the metallic taste on bottles left by foil wrappers. Pool table was open so we played a couple of rounds of 8 ball and then a round of 9 ball. We went back to my place kept looking at the clock and thinking how amazing it was that it was still so early. Love when that happens. At 10-something I finally decide that we should go to Meteor for a little bit to catch Aike perform in his Pride Idol thing. We haul ass over there and RIGHT when we get in, he's getting on stage. This is Philip's first time to a gay club in Houston and I just keep holding his hand so no one tries to steal him. He asks if he thinks the guys can tell he's straight. Probably not, 'cause he likes to wear his shirts XS. We only stay there for a bit after Aike sings 'cause Philip has to drive allll the way to Rex's house and sleep over there. I end up going back to Meteor (it's like 4 blocks from my house) and hanging out with my graphic's buddies 'til it closes.

On Friday I had an interview at Lawndale Art Center. I feel like it went really well, but every time I get overly confident I end up losing and feeling really dumb for having so much faith. So I'm going to say that I probably didn't get the job. Went to work then had dinner with my family and some other folks at a Mongolian hot pot restaurant on Westheimer and Fountainview. (The broth they used was so good; whole pieces of garlic and a million different spices simmering in your face while you cook the lamb meat yourself.) I missed hanging out with my brother so it was fun being stupid with him. We tried translating pick-up lines into Chinese and got stuck on the word "juicy", so we asked my parents and they had a million different ways of saying it. My favorite one translated directly into "chubby supple".

Some friends of mine told me about a new grill/bar on Washington was throwing a 15 kegger party for FREE. I love kegs and I love free, so I ended up going up there with Wendy, Miles and Wes. Some unintentional awkwardness occurs and we end up having to figure out a stealthy way to get out of there. I hurry and pump the keg for a few more free beers before we leave. We try to go to Boondocks, but Wendy and I have to pee SO FREAKING BAD and the line was long, so we run across the street to Etro to crash their bathrooms. At this point I'm the third-wheeling it hard (we left Miles at the party) so my mission is to get to a point where I am satisfied with just being out. It works. We end the night and walk back to the car which is parked by Boondocks and we run into a bunch of people we know coming out of the club. I also ran into Afrodet, a friend from back-in-the-day who coincidentally works at Lawndale Art Center. She told me she ran into the director who interviewed me and relayed that "my portfolio was amazing"!!! She was obviously drunk, so I won't take it to heart just yet.

I tried to sleep in on Saturday but Nikko called me at like 11 and woke my hungover ass up. He told me he was giving up his Summerfest ticket. Just the other day I was regretting the fact that I never bought one, and now one just magically appeared in my inbox. Wendy came over later and we had lunch at Empire Cafe and chugged iced coffee to get rid of our old-lady hangovers. Wendy left for Summerfest with Andy, and I waited for Drew to come over so he wouldn't have to walk there alone. I guess the walk from my house to the event is kinda far, but I noticed people parking on my street for the event so I figured if everyone else did it, it wouldn't be that bad. It wasn't. Got there, did a bunch of texting to find people and ended up having a really good time. Beers were buy one get one free if you tipped so that was cool. The lawn was packed and we didn't have a good place to lay down our picnic blanket, so we pretty much made ourselves fit in front of this guy and his girlfriend. I felt bad, so I gave him a pen I found earlier as a peace-maker. It worked. All of us left before Girl Talk's last set so that we could beat the masses and we drunkenly walked home. Wendy passed out on my couch and Drew and I YouTubed random stuff until midnight.

I felt like a high-schooler with the amount of texting I was doing with Philip the whole weekend.

Sunday. Did some cleaning around the house and decided I wanted to go shopping for junk on Harwin. That place is a gold-mine if you have the time to dig around. I am very happy with the jewelry and purses that I bought but not the cheapo sunglasses. I put them on for Philip and he was like, "nice nose" so I looked in the mirror and saw that my nose looked 3 times bigger. I am highly influenced by people's opinions. Anyone want a pair of fake Chloe's? Oh, and I finally found a fanny pack! I had been looking for one for years and even tried to make one myself, but failed miserably. After I shopped, I went home to wait for Philip to come over. We sit on my bed and he is like, "I got you something." I'm excited. I open it, it's a shot glass. I look inside it, cause I'm thinking there's something INSIDE the shot glass. No, it's just a shot glass. Then there's two cardboard boxes on my bed. I didn't pay attention to them, but they look kinda like Build-A-Bear boxes. He's like I got you these too. I'm thinking, "Weird. He got me a bear? Ok, that's kind of cute." Then he opens it and it's his and Rex's margarita glasses from a restaurant they went to. You get to keep the glass after you finish the margarita. Oh, Philip. It's the thought that counts right? And also this story I get to tell is better than a real gift because I am chuckling as I'm typing this. Philip wins.

Quick recap: What happens in San Antonio stays in San Antonio. Just kidding.
  • Saw MyMy, and he lost like 30 pounds in basic training.
  • Everyone got lost a million times. I'm telling you, my dad's Garmin was upside down. U-turn kings. Acme Road doesn't exist, but it got built in a day.
  • Spent the whole weekend looking for tail for Kuya Rex. He'll tell you he had it but got cock blocked a million times. Went down the hallways saying Rachel into all the doors. Carla was Indian and really did block him. He also got blocked by someone from a girl that was with peeing girl.
  • Vultures waiting outside of Tabu to pick up drunk girls. Easy money.
  • The Republic has huge margaritas and really good dancers. Forest Whitaker.
  • Kuya Rex got a free mean mojito from pregnant Rosa at Las Carnerias. 50% chance to get Ana, and we saw Rogue there. I felt really gay when I asked Rosa if she saw her shoes cause they had red bottoms. I quickly said I wasn't gay after I asked her. Steak was 48 bucks, but was really good.
  • Don't know why Bryan was so mad when he was waiting for 2 hours cause it's not like we weren't driving around being lost for those same 2 hours.
  • 98.5 in San Antonio is the Drake station.
  • There are TWO visitor's centers, but one is HUGE hahahah. They also don't know what the BX or Base Exchange is.
  • Apparently, I'm the richest man in the world before getting a paycheck.
  • When it's hard to hear, 3 tequilas sound like 3 Guinnes.
  • Can I get a Vortex please?
  • Did you know that if you just mention Tito Ariel's name that you can do anything you want? Or if you call in an order from retired Sgt. Destreza.
  • The Alamo is cool after the 5th time in the same weekend. I also am not allowed to use my cell phone inside, but chump teenage white girls are. Racist.
  • Do you think that everyone's girlfriend's boyfriend knows that their girlfriends are following Kuya Rex?
  • The toilet is in the corner of the elevator area at 5:30AM. Bryan will wake up and open the door for you, but Kuya Rex will not. He will knock down your lamp, though.
  • MyMy only missed the dean's list or whatever it's called by 3 points, which amount to two fingers being held up. Also, those three points could have come from some combination of 3 push ups, 3 sit ups, or 3 marksmanship points.
  • Don't walk out on your tab if your waitress got walked out on a bunch of tabs earlier because her friend got shot, and she was on the phone crying.
  • You ever work out so much that you get a headache? Try this: Eat a breakfast burrito, sit on those Swedish exercise balls, and watch other people work out.
  • We got 300 dollar rooms for 82 dollars cause our cousin is like the president of HR for whatever hotels.
This was top of the dome. Comment with some more if you think of any.

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Mongolion Hot pot is literally 2 seconds away from Isaiah's apt. I didn't know it was good... we'll have to try it now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. philip, where's the recap of the san antonio weekend?!?! wish i made it but i was running a dumb marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. damn. sounds pretty awesome. i always miss the good weekends...

    ReplyDelete
  4. i didn't get how you could be lost

    ReplyDelete